Are You Looking For an Individual Therapist in Los Angeles or Across California
Modern Intimacy Can Help You Find The Individual Therapist You’re Looking For
Our team of individual therapists is located across Los Angeles, California with teletherapy available across the state.
When clients reach out to us for therapy, many share with us they are on the search for therapist to help with a wide range of challenges and mental health issues. From anxiety to depression, relationship stress to healing past traumas, difficulties at work, we offer support for all of these areas and more.
Our focus is on helping you integrate the person you are today with the modern world. It’s no small feat for anyone to thrive with all that happens in the world around us and that’s why we’re here to help you.
Tell Me More About Individual Therapy
Individual therapy is really you and your therapist working through the areas of your life that are blocking you from being the version of yourself you most desire to be. Sessions are scheduled in advance and progress weekly until you feel satisfied that you’re ready to stop.
Clients can be in most types of therapy for a few months or a few years depending on the depth of their goals. Everyone is unique so we develop individual relationships with every client, offering them the treatment they desire at a pace that works for their life.
Individual Counseling Covers Significant Areas Like:
- your personal identity
- past traumas
- relationships and they stress they bring
- your internal dialogue and beliefs
- intense moods or mood swings
- feeling stuck in life or work
- treating various mental illness conditions
- and your behavior patterns around conflict
These are just a few of the most common patterns we see with clients and what they bring to therapy. Your story is unique.
To help you, the team of mental health providers at Modern Intimacy all share a common belief that intimacy is for everyone. Our goal is to help you determine what is interfering or blocking you from achieving the life you most desire to live and support you in getting there.
Our licensed California therapists are here to help. All you have to do is reach out.
Are Individual Sessions Held In Person or Virtually?
At present, all of our therapists are conducting therapy sessions virtually, via telehealth. Since transitioning to 100% telehealth services at the height of the pandemic, we have found that virtual therapy sessions tend to provide our clients with the same quality of care as in-person sessions, with an added convenience.
Our secure, HIPAA compliant telehealth platform enables you to connect with a therapist virtually via video. Convenient, automatic reminders and calendar invites make it easy to remember your appointment time.
Free 30-Minute Consultation
Teletherapy Service Available
Everyone has the right to empowered, healthy, and thriving relationships. That includes you.
mental health | relationships | sexuality | healing + recovery
Diving Deeper, What Can My Individual Therapist Help Me Focus On?
This is a great question as finding a therapist educated and attuned to your specific needs is critical to your success. Some of our core focus areas include, but are not limited to:
- Trauma and PTSD
- Addiction and Compulsive Behaviors
- Compulsive Sexual Behavior or Porn Use
- Bipolar Disorder
- Substance Abuse
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Relationship Issues
- Stress Management
- Personal Growth
- Body Image + Self Esteem
- Grief Counseling
- Life Transitions
- Retroactive Jealousy
- Social Anxiety
- Developing Healthy Coping Skills
- Opening Up Your Relationship/Alternative Lifestyles
- LGBTQ Affirmative Therapy
- Mood Disorders (Depression, Anxiety & More)
- Holistic Living
- Betrayal Trauma + Infidelity
How Can We Help You?
Asking for help can bring up a lot of feelings whether it’s anxiety, hope, or uncertainty. It can be especially uncomfortable if you did not grow up in an environment where asking for help was encouraged and safe. The fact that you are on the website of a therapy page, seeking answers, is a fantastic step towards getting to know yourself better and working through your struggles. That alone is something to be proud of.
Therapy can feel different for different folks as everyone comes to therapy with their own unique story. There’s no one correct way to conduct therapy since people have different preferences in how they approach working with each individual client.
When you work with one of our therapists, you are getting customized mental health care catered to what feels most supportive and meaningful to you. The therapy process is for you which is why your therapist will frequently be checking in, inviting feedback, and working with you to ensure you are getting the support you need throughout the process.
What To Expect From Individual Therapy When You First Begin
If you’re a therapy first-timer, there are a few details about the process of working with a therapist that you should know. First, everything begins with a conversation to ensure that the Modern Intimacy team is the best to help you. This is a complimentary call and you can schedule that as soon as you’re ready.
Below is a breakdown of how we start the therapy process.
- To get started, schedule a free 30-minute phone consultation with our Intake Specialist. This initial consultation is a complimentary, private phone call or video session, so we can gather more information from you about what is bringing you to therapy.
- We want to ask about your goals and any other relevant background that is helpful for assessing which Modern Intimacy therapist is the best match for you. And from your perspective, be sure to ask questions about our services, available therapists, service rates, how to process super bills, and anything else on your mind.
- Once we’re settled on who will be the best therapist on our staff (based on their training, credentials, and areas of specialization that match with what you’re looking for etc.) our Intake Specialist will provide a few times the therapist is available for your first meeting.
- Upon scheduling, we’ll send you a link to register a secure client portal with our secure Telehealth platform. Within the portal, you will receive your “intake forms” and your link to join your therapist in session for your scheduled appointment.
- Finally, during your first session, expect to give your therapist some background on your life, current mental health, sexual health history, relational and family history, and anything else that is helpful for your therapist to know in order to provide the best care.
- Therapy sessions are usually 50 minutes, and you can request longer sessions as needed. Ask your therapist about the costs associated with longer meetings so you can make an informed decision.
Once you’ve completed the “onboarding” session, your therapist will guide you personally through the remainder of your sessions.
What Styles of Therapy do Modern Intimacy Therapists Use in Sessions?
Therapy sessions usually occur weekly, but Modern Intimacy therapists are happy to accommodate whatever frequency works best for your schedule and resources. It can feel intense to share your entire life with someone you are just meeting, but many people find that sharing with their therapist feels more comfortable as time goes on.
While we do not prescribe medication, our team works with several psychiatrists locally, who we refer to for your medication evaluation and management needs.
Modern Intimacy’s California-based therapists commonly take a mind-body holistic approach, including but not limited to the following modalities:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Psychodynamic Therapy
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) Therapy
- Mindfulness Based Therapies
- Somatic/Body Based Therapies
- Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT)
- Internal Family Systems (IFS)
- Sex Therapy
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
- Trauma Informed
- Attachment Theory
- Solution Focused Therapy
- LGBTQ+ Affirming Therapy
- Affect Regulation Theory
- Trauma Sensitive Yoga
- Polyvagal Therapy
Are Modern Intimacy Therapists Trauma Informed?
Yes. All Modern Intimacy therapists understand the impact all kinds of trauma can have on individuals’ and couples’ lives and relationships. Modern Intimacy recognizes that trauma can come in many forms and plays a unique role and affects people differently. That belief is applied in our ethos and how our therapists go about conducting therapy and understanding our clients.
If you’re not sure what it means for a therapist to be trauma informed, it simply refers to practitioners who understand that most, if not all, of the patients they work with will have some level of trauma and that trauma should be considered when providing therapeutic treatment.
Working with a trauma informed therapist can be incredibly helpful for people who aren’t aware they have experienced traumatic situations or that the symptoms they are experiencing are linked to a history of trauma. It can also help to avoid potential retraumatization.
How Many Sessions Will I Need To Meet My Goals?
The length of therapy can vary based on a few factors such as how often your schedule and budget allows you to attend sessions and how open you are to the therapy process. There isn’t a one size fits all answer as everyone’s goals are different and need different levels of support.
If you have questions about therapy frequency, your therapist can provide a recommendation on the frequency that would be most effective based on your goals and unique needs.
How Much Does Individual Therapy Cost? Does Modern Intimacy Accept Insurance?
Rates vary depending on the mental health professionals’ level of education and experience. Because we have a range of clinicians on our team, there are many options to choose from, to accommodate your resources.
Modern Intimacy is not in-network with any health care insurance companies. If your insurance plan offers an out-of-network reimbursement, we can provide a super bill, which you can send to your provider for potential reimbursement. Eligibility, requirements, and rates vary so please contact your insurance provider directly for more detailed information about your plan’s out of network benefits.
On occasion, we do have sliding scale spots open for those who need financial assistance. Sliding scale spots tend to fill up fast, but feel free to give us a call if you’d like to inquire about the availability for a reduced rate.
Please contact us if you have any questions about our rates and super bills.
How Can I Book an Appointment/Consultation?
If you feel ready to get started, but still have a few questions, feel free to reach out. We offer a complimentary 30-minute consultation where our Intake Specialist can learn more about your goals, answer any questions or concerns you might have, and align you with the therapist who is the best fit for your needs.
Need couples therapy in LA, trauma or EMDR therapy in LA or sex therapy in LA, feel free to connect with us about those areas too.